LONDON — February 7, 2018 — D’Ieteren and Clayton, Dubilier & Rice (“CD&R”) completed today the previously announced acquisition by CD&R-managed funds of a 40% ownership interest in the Belron group, the global leader in the vehicle glass repair and replacement (“VGRR”) market. D’Ieteren and Belron’s management hold the remaining 60% ownership interest in the group.
With 2016 sales of EUR 3.3 billion, Belron is the sole global operator in the VGRR market, serving more than 11 million customers annually across 34 countries and five continents. The company holds the number one position in each of its top ten countries, including the US, France and Germany. Belron’s portfolio of well-recognized brands includes Carglass®, Safelite® and Autoglass®. The company employs approximately 26,000 associates worldwide.
About Clayton, Dubilier & Rice
Founded in 1978, Clayton, Dubilier & Rice is a private investment firm. Since inception, CD&R has managed the investment of $25 billion in 78 companies representing a broad range of industries with an aggregate transaction value of more than $100 billion. In Europe, the Firm’s recent investments include BUT, SPIE and Rexel in France, and B&M, BCA, MFG and Exova in the U.K., as well as Kalle and Mauser in Germany. The Firm has offices in New York and London. For more information, visit www.cdr-inc.com.
The D’Ieteren Group Profile
In existence since 1805, and across family generations, D’Ieteren seeks growth and value creation by pursuing a strategy on the long term for its businesses and actively encouraging and supporting them to develop their position in their industry or in their geographies. The group has currently three activities articulated around strong brands:
- D’Ieteren Auto distributes Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Škoda, Bentley, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Porsche and Yamaha vehicles in Belgium. It is the country's number one car distributor, with a market share of around 22% and 1.2 million vehicles on the road at the end of 2016. Sales and adjusted operating result reached respectively EUR 3.1 billion and EUR 75.8 million in FY 2016.
- Belron (54.85% owned) makes a difference by solving people’s problems with real care. It is the worldwide leader in vehicle glass repair and replacement, trading under more than 10 major brands including Carglass®, Safelite® AutoGlass and Autoglass®. In addition, it manages vehicle glass and other insurance claims on behalf of insurance customers. Belron is also expanding its services to focus on solving problems for people who need assistance with repairs to their vehicles and homes. Sales and adjusted operating result reached respectively EUR 3.3 billion and EUR 190.7 million in FY 2016.
- Moleskine (100% owned) is a premium and aspirational lifestyle brand which develops and sells iconic branded notebooks and writing, travel and reading accessories through a multichannel distribution strategy across 102 countries. Sales and operating result reached respectively EUR 145.2 million and EUR 34.0 million on a stand-alone basis in FY 2016.